High Noon & Gary Cooper !

                                                            It turns out I was never related to one of the second cousins of Cary Grant . It was something my parents dreamed up during the fifties just to add a little mystery to the boring atmosphere of the time . How silly of them , Cary Grant ? More like a government grant !
                                                           But there we were , its Saturday morning , and I am in need to get money to go to the movies . The movies on Saturday is my escape from the boredom that is the early sixties . But I need money , and I need it now . Gary Cooper is on in the Inchicore flea house that is our local cinema . The movie is High Noon , and it is going to be seen by me today .  I need to make a plan , a good one , something worthwhile .. Right I've got it ! By the way I am 10 yrs. old !
                                                          I ask my parents as I always do on a Saturday morning if they need any messages , specifically a bag of coal . They say in fact we do need some coal , there's two shillings and sixpence (A Half Crown) to those who remember , get it in the hardware round the corner . Right the plan is taking shape , now all we need is the execution .
                                                         I wandered round to Maxwells the hardware shop to get my bag of coal . Now what you have to understand is , Mr Maxwell always kept his coal and briquettes outside under the window of his shop . It just made it easy for him so as not to have to drag them out during the day , they would always be outside from around 8.30 am . Now this is where everything gets a little tricky . The timing has to be right , otherwise there will be hell to pay .
                                                         I stand outside and look in the window and smile at Mr.Maxwell , he always smiles back , but unbeknowns to him I am waiting for him to move into the back of the shop so the coast will be clear . Eventually after what seems like an eternity he slowly moves round the back , and in an instant the bag of coal is in my arms and I am gone like the proverbial wind !
                                                         O k , last piece of the plan , said half crown has to be hidden out of sight , on the wall close to our house there are many drain holes , and one of them belongs to me , its my special hiding place and no one , repeat no one knows of its importance or its significance .The half crown was deposited successfully , Today I was going to see High Noon !
                                                       Mr Maxwell , you are obviously dead by now R.I.P , Many apologies in your absence !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zionism and its Supporters , A Cancer That Needs Extracting !

Happiest of New Years Everybody !

A Ghost in my Machine !