I hope My Memory Can Withstand Such Exercise !

                                                             I was talking to this friend of mine a while ago who just happened to be an expert on everything Dublin and everything music . He was telling me about the club scene that he is still involved in around Dublin .I was introduced to him by my son who happens to be a very good friend of his and is also in the music industry . I was fascinated to hear of his experiences throughout the clubs and the information he shared was both educational and enlightening .
                                                           Now what you have to do is understand that there is quite an age difference between us , the difference being somewhere in the region of 20 - 25 years , me being the older one . But as he was just finishing with his contribution to the conversation , I launched into my contribution and where all the clubs were situated in  Dublin .
                                                           Firstly I mentioned the Go Go which was the first club for me to go to in the early 60's , it was located in Lr Abbey Street opposite Wynn's Hotel . I met my wife there , so it has something of a special remembrance for me .
                                                          In Middle Abbey Street there were two clubs , the original Apartment club beside the Evening Herald offices . On the opposite side there was the Boot Inn , for the skinheads of the time .
                                                         In Henry Street / Mary Street there were also two clubs , there was Tiffany's , and The Countdown . Two Great clubs , so many fond memories of both .
                                                        In O'Connell  proper There was only one club that I can remember , and that was The Flamingo which was located over the Chinese Restaurant close to O'Connell Bridge .
                                                       Its hard to believe when you think of it , but sharing these memories made me realise how up to date Dublin was in the 60's . You were never at a loss to find somewhere to go , and on a good night you might even get to visit more than one .
                                                       In Sth Great George's Street there was the Moulin Rouge , and in Harcourt Street there was The 5 club .There was Barton's behind the Gresham Hotel , and there was The Scene just off Parnell Square . In Fleet Street there was Sloopy's beside the Pearl Bar .
                                                      As I rhymed all of these names and locations off , there was utter amazement . The conversation had taken a different route , a 50 year old route backwards . I had really forgotten about all of these clubs , and there were more , too numerous to mention . But I think you get an idea of where and what it was like back then .
                                                      The conversation ended with a promise to go over all of the details and the stories at a later venue and time . I just hope my memory can withstand such exercise .









                                                       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zionism and its Supporters , A Cancer That Needs Extracting !

Happiest of New Years Everybody !

These People I Represent are ALIENS !