Inchicore Anecdotes !

                                                                          There are none too many songs I can remember that relate to where I might have lived at any given time in my life , as perfect as the Beatles song In My Life . There are so many things that I can relate to even now , while it meanders around in my head .You see where I grew up had something really special , that thinking about it even now brings up so many memories and as many emotions .
Richmond Park !
                                                                         The house I lived in directly looked at the back of the famous/infamous Kilmainham Jail . I was too young to know or remember , why that place was filled with so many ghosts . Ghosts who had their lives taken from them so very very prematurely . All I knew was that when I crossed the Camac via the iron pipe that started in Turvey Avenue , me and my mates were gonna have one helluva a time . This is what the back garden of Kilmainham Jail meant to us . A place of adventure . Somewhere we could always investigate and explore . A place where we had our own little club house , in a gaping hole at the end of the Jails back wall .
                                                                         If you came from around this area , there was only one football team to follow , St. Pats . Dinny Lowry , Willie Peighton flying down the wing on a Sunday was a thing to behold . You know , there were so many leather footballs lost in The Camac , that at times I wondered how the club ever survived having to replace them . I was only eight at the time , so maybe now you can understand about my fears for the financial interests of my favourite football team .
                                                                        I was educated in an army barracks . Christian Brothers and teachers shared the responsibility of trying to point us all in the right direction . Some made it in the direction shown , some didn't . But many lifelong friendships were made .
                                                                       We were all familiar with the effects that a leather strap could inflict on you . What really amazed and surprised me was how enjoyable it was for the Brothers and teachers who decided that today was your day . So , the byword , and the plan would always be to avoid getting into trouble no matter what lengths you had to go to . Beg , borrow , steal , if need be .That leather strap was not going to touch my hand today .But do you know what was worse ? If your parents caught wind of you being punished in school , they would just add to your misery by giving you another clatter . You must have deserved it , you would be told . Here's another for good measure . Memories , aren't they really wonderful ?
Jack Donoghue's
                                                                      Saturday and Sunday were " The Pictures " days ! THE CORE ! If you couldn't get the money for the Pictures , big black clouds of depression and sadness would be the only emotions you would feel . The Pictures was your education ! The pictures was where you had the chance to play out anything that would crop up in our oh so vivid imaginations . The Cowboys were always the good guys , and the Indians were always looking to scalp someone . It would take so many years to pass , until I found out that in fact the people who taught the Indians about scalping were in fact the cowboys .Kinda makes sense when you think about it .The only people who made money from a scalp were in fact the cowboys .On reflection , a lot of the stuff we learned from " The Pictures ", was nothing more than American propaganda . Their way of justifying the Genocide of The Native Americans .
                                                                    This was just meant to be a trip down memory lane . But you see I have this tendency to get lost at times in detail . And some of my own
   personal pet hates can surface and send me off in different directions . And that is exactly what has happened here .When I decide to come back to remembering INCHICORE , and feel I want to say more about it , I  will most certainly . But for the moment I will leave you with these little anecdotes , that will
hopefully remind someone who can relate to them , that this is how you grew
up in Inchicore . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zionism and its Supporters , A Cancer That Needs Extracting !

Happiest of New Years Everybody !

These People I Represent are ALIENS !